Re: Blocking Access (UPDATE)

Hi,

If a machine is serving multiple users, not installing a feature will
disable it for all users.

If you want to implement a policy for controlling access, it makes
sense to:

a) provide a configuration option to prevent the feature being advertised
  (ie. drop it from menus, panels, desktop workspace, etc.); this
  requires that the configuration contains a list of the features
  (app/applet/capplet/bonobjects) that the user may (or may not) add to a
  feature UI (like a menu)

b) if you really don't want the user to access it,  you should implement
  an access control policy; one interesting trick that's just occurred
  to me is to have the feature attempt to get read access on a file
  in a system directory (e.g. $GNOME/etc/feature.conf); if it can't
  read the file (due to user/group/other permissions OR also due to
  ACLs on the file), then the feature knows the user shouldn't be able
  to access it; this is better than changing permissions on an executable
  file as you want to be able to give a sensible error to the user, not
  just terminate because you can't execute an app or load a shared library
  to resolve some symbols

Colm.