Re: Pan newsreader on 1.4's extra apps list?

Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc cu-portland edu> writes:

> On 24 Jan 2001 11:52:10 -0800, Charles Kerr wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm the maintainer of the newsreader Pan and was wondering if it would be
> > included in the Gnome 1.4 extra apps list.
> >
> > Of course I'd like to see it included because I'm its maintainer, but if a
> > newsreader should be included, Pan's a good choice: it's the only Unix
> > newsreader to score 100% on the Good Newskeeping Seal of Approval, and
> > it's the reader included on the Ximian desktop.
>
> I've no doubt that Pan is an excellent newsreader, but I have misgivings
> about including in the gnome extra apps release until it becomes less
> offensive.  Both the domain name of Pan's homesite, and the acronym for
> it's name seem inappropraite for such high quality software, and they're
> certainly not something that I would feel comfortable recomending to a
> friend.  Should these things be changed, I would remove my objections to
> including Pan as part of the gnome extra apps release.

If it was called FuckOffAndDie or something I might agree, I don't
think the expansion of PAN (which most users will never notice,
really) is offensive enough to worry about.

I'd rather stay away from censoring the names of packages in general,
if possible.

Ian and Jamin have the final say however.

 - Maciej