Re: version numbering for betas

Karl Eichwalder <keichwa gmx net> writes:

> Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc cu-portland edu> writes:
>
> > Why aren't these 1.3 releases?  Isn't this just what 1.3 releases were
> > supposed to be for?  People are calling packages "1.4-beta1" which is a
> > bit annoying for packaging, since I can't use that as a package version
> > number.
>
> Concerning RPM one can work around it; use to make proper use of
> 'Version:' and '%setup -n':
>
>     Name: xxx
>     Version: 1.4beta1
>
>     %setup -q -n %{name}-1.4-beta1

Last I checked, 1.4beta1 is considered _newer_ by RPM than 1.4.

So you really don't want use this naming.

What I've done for GTK+ packages recently, is to use/abuse the
release field and do:

 gtk+-1.2.9pre1 => gtk+-1.2.9-0.1.src.rpm

Perhaps next time it comes up I'll name the tarballs 1.2.8.91,...
though I think that is a rather less clear.

                                        Owen