Re: GNOME 1.4 Rel Eng Minutes (Feb 12, 2001)

On 15 Feb 2001, Ariel Rios Osorio wrote:

> > Reference platforms:
> >   * We need a list of supported platforms
> >   * Jacob will build/test on HP-UX
> >   * Supported platforms:
> >       Red Hat 6.2
> >       Red Hat 7.0
> >       Mandrake 7.2
> >       Debian Potato
> >       SuSE 7.0
> >       FreeBSD x86 (latest stable release)
> >       Solaris/SPARC 8
> >   * Being supported means that if a package breaks on one of these platforms,
> >     it is a release-critical bug
>
> This is not clear enough. Is PPC Debian included? Are RH based distros
> for the Power PC
> also included(Linux PPC)? Suse for PPC?
> Nautilus stuff is known to have porblems compiling in PPC...

Actually, we are in the process of refining this idea and how things will
work out.  The way I think about it is in reverse.  If we want to support
something, we need to first decide the extent to which we support it and
who will do the work.  So, to some extent this is determined by whether we
get volunteers who will do the work.  So if somebody (or more likely a few
people) step forward and are willing to do the work to test a given
platform and maybe even submit patches to get things working, then we
would probably be very happy to add that platform to the list.

This reflects more of my feeling on the topic and not the final decision
of the release team.  These details are still being worked out, so we may
have a more solid answer for you after our next meeting on Monday.  Of
course any opinions or suggestions you have are welcome and will be taken
into consideration.

Dan