GNOME 1.4 Rel Eng Minutes (Feb 12, 2001)

  Minutes for the GNOME 1.4 Release Committee meeting Feb 12, 2001

Present:
--------
  Maciej Stachowiak (co-coordinator of 1.4, chair)
  Ian Peters        (co-coordinator of "extra apps")
  Dan Mueth         (documentation, minutes)
  Karl Gaffney      (coordinator of QA)
  Jacob Berkman     (co-coordinator of 1.4)
  Don Melton        (director of Nautilus engineering)
  Kjartan Maraas    (translations)

Absent:
-------
  Greg Corrin	    (PR)
  Jamin Gray        (co-coordinator of "extra apps")

Decisions:
----------
Next meeting is the normal time, but Thursday of this week

Work Done:
----------
  ACTION: Maciej will send Greg and Leslie a list of changes and features
          in GNOME 1.4
	  -> Done.
  ACTION: Leslie and Greg to finish/circulate GNOME 1.4 outline
	  -> Done.
  ACTION: Greg and Leslie to send GNOME 1.4 PR plan to group by Friday
	  -> Done.
  ACTION: Greg and Leslie will create draft press release and send it to
          the Board of Directors and GNOME 1.4 Rel Eng Team
	  -> In progress.
  ACTION: Greg to get bios from advisory board members
	  -> In progress.
  ACTION: Jacob to release a 1.4 version of gnome-core (around 12th)
	  -> In progress (will mail i18n first)
  ACTION: Jacob to release a 1.4 version of gnome-core (around 12th)
	  -> Done.
  ACTION: Dan to post release schedule to gnome-i18n
	  -> Done.
  ACTION: Dan to send QA contact for docs to Karl
	  -> Done.
  ACTION: Jacob to discuss partial-freezing of bonobo with Miguel and report
          to this committee
	  -> Done.
  ACTION: Everybody to send any feedback on QA process to Karl/list so
          we can finalize it
	  -> Done.

Work in Progress/To Be Done:
----------------------------
  ACTION: Greg and Leslie will create draft press release and send it to
          the Board of Directors and GNOME 1.4 Rel Eng Team
  ACTION: Greg to get bios from advisory board members
  ACTION: Jacob to release a 1.4 version of gnome-core (around 12th)
  ACTION: Jacob to check with Miguel/Michael about making bonobo plans
          public is ok.
  ACTION: Dan to make sure gnome-vfs fix is finished
  ACTION: Dan to make sure gnome-libs fix is finished
  ACTION: Maciej to pass list of supported platforms by Board of Directors

Agenda Items Left For Next Meeting:
-----------------------------------
Remind people to submit entries for newsletter
Tinderbox
GNOME 1.4.x releases
Release staging - how to get it to the mirrors before it gets to
  slashdot
GNOME 1.4.x releases.
Extra apps packages update

Agenda:
-------
Help Browser:
  * We need to make sure Nautilus can handle the help buttons correctly
  * We ship both SGML and HTML
  * We need to put a little change into gnome-vfs so the help buttons
    will work
  * We need to make sure gnome-libs gets the default help handler is changed

Preparing for GNOME 1.4test1:
  * Maciej set up a staging directory and package linking script on
    ftp.gnome.org
  * Maciej sent out an email about this
  * Ian will do the same for the extra apps
  * There will be new: gtk, glib, oaf, xml-i18n-tools
  * Packages are due at 11:59PM PST Thursday
  * Special meeting this week, on Thursday, at normal time

Translators Contact and Credit:
  * Should they go into About box?
  * Kjartan will email gnome-hackers about it

Newsletter:
  * We should send them out to Jacob this afternoon by about 8PM EST
  * Jacob will compile and send them out

Reference platforms:
  * We need a list of supported platforms
  * Jacob will build/test on HP-UX
  * Supported platforms:
	Red Hat 6.2
	Red Hat 7.0
	Mandrake 7.2
	Debian Potato
	SuSE 7.0
	FreeBSD x86 (latest stable release)
	Solaris/SPARC 8
  * Being supported means that if a package breaks on one of these platforms,
    it is a release-critical bug
  * Maciej will have board review the list of supported platforms