Re: Extra Apps package list

It's been rumoured that Jamin Philip Gray said:
> I've committed a list of package suggestions to the releng module of
>
> * What packages that aren't in the list should be added and why?

gtkhtml seems to be notable in its abscense.  GnuCash uses it, and
its 'critical' in the sense that we need more or less teh latest version
with the latest bug fixes in it for it to be usable.

> * Is the current version correct?

gnucash version 1.4.10 is the latest stable version.  In the
anticipated time frame of the gnome release, there may be a 1.4.11 or
1.4.12 but no 1.6.x or 2.0.x

> * Are the developers stabilizing an unstable version of the package?
> * Are you planning a new release soon?

see above; not in time for your schedule.

> dia, gnumeric, sodipodi, touxdoux, and other Gnome Office apps,
>
> Let's come up with some solid reasoning for where these apps should
> belong.  Take the Gnome Office apps, for example.  Should these be in
> Gnome core, the Extra Apps, or some separate Gnome Office release?

Well, I don't like being lumped in with 'Gnome Office'  because I
perceive marketing value from being stand-alone.  The big-deal deal:
"we're not just some part of some other thing, we're SO BIG that we
GET A NAME OF OUR OWN".

Mostly because I don't want to have this conversation: "(Linux Newbie:)
Oh, I thought you were a part of Gnome Office.  (GnuCash Promoter:) Well,
sure but not really, because you see, Gnome office is that other stuff,
and WE provide the PREMIER package for HOME ACCOUNTING.  We're SPECIAL.
We're the Nautilus for Financial Info!"

> Ideas?  Some suggesions we've had so far are:
>
> Gnome Plus Pack
> Gnome "Goodies"
> Gnome Extra
> Gnome PowerApps
> Gnome 1.4-buddy
> Gnome Assbarn Collection

Ughh. I'd rather be part of gnome office than any of these.

How about
"the Kitchen Sink"
"Lock Stock & Barrel"   (pointing a gun at microsoft?)
"Everything but the Girl"
"U Name It"
"Stock"             ("If it's in Stock, We got It")
"the Rest of It"    (you forgot to install 'the rest of it')

--linas