Re: ToutDoux and PostgreSQL/MySQL

On 30 Nov 2000 10:07:11 +0100, Philippe Roy wrote:
> I never used gnome-db, because I never found the starting button. But, I'll
> try again.

oops, maybe you were trying a broken CVS version? If you want to try
again, please don't
hesitate in contacting me. I'll help you in setting it up.

But this is gnome-db, which is using
Bonobo/GConf etc, and which sometimes is broken. But libgda is quite
stable, and has been
so for the last year. And libgda is the part I tell you to use. Of
course, you can also
use the GNOME-DB widgets, which are also working for the last year or
so. What is broken
(sometimes) is the UI applications, which make a heavy use of bonobo

> Write the plug-in between toutdoux's objects and database interface is not
> a problem (easy, few functions, ...). But the performance is (for toutdoux)
> really important. In fact, lot of widgets (menu, entry, toggle-button )
> have got SQL query for value(s), sensitive flag, visible flag, ... .

you won't notice at all any speed/performance issue when using libgda.
It's very very quick, so
there's just a very very slight difference in using libgda and the
native libs. Being based on
CORBA does not mean it's slow, specially if it uses ORBit.

> Lib-gda ? Why not ! Like PostgreSQL, ..., I'll make an plug-in interface.
> But for me, it's not the priority.

I know, and I don't want to force anybody to use libgda/gnome-db. But I raise

the issue several times (when people talk about DB access lib) because
libgda has been
developed for more than 2 years, and many people have participated in
the design, so it
is quite advanced, and covers many issues, apart from allowing access to
different
RDBMS (ODBC, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Sybase, Interbase, PrimeBase,
TDS, etc)

cheers