Re: Decoupling GNOME Office?

Joe Shaw <joe@helixcode.com> writes:

> Yes, once we say they represent the "GNOME Office" then they need to
> follow the same (or similar) release engineering schedules, which is just
> what we don't need right now.

Right now we are tying them to the GNOME release schedule though, I
don't see how that is any better. Maybe it would be better for each of
these apps to just ship separately on it's own schedule for now then.

However, I still don't understand why everyone thinks a lot of
integration and interoperability is needed to call something an office
suite. That certainly wasn't true of the first release of Microsoft
Office, for instance. To me, labelling something "Foo Office" just
means "here's a bunch of apps that allow you to do basic office-type
tasks". Being able to embed a spreadsheet in a word processor document
and the like is just an advanced feature that mgiht be good to
include.

 - Maciej