Re: [gnet] examples don't compile!

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 22:41 +1000, Solly Brown wrote:

Hi Solly,

> OK, maybe I'm doing something stupid here but this is what I get when I
> try and make the examples that come with the distribution.
>
> /usr/share/doc/libgnet2.0-0/examples$ make
> Makefile:418: .deps/dnslookup.Po: No such file or directory
> Makefile:419: .deps/echoclient-async.Po: No such file or directory
> Makefile:420: .deps/echoclient-gconn.Po: No such file or directory
> make: *** No rule to make target `.deps/sdr.Po'.  Stop.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction? Would really appreciate it!

First of all, /usr/share/doc/libgnet2.0-0 is not a directory you have
write permissions to as a normal user. You can read files from there,
but not create new files. So 'make' wouldn't work at this location
anyway. Secondly, I'm not entirely sure how just packaging the Makefile
from the source tarball (I'm assuming that's it) into that directory is
supposed to work or make sense anyway. You should probably ask the
person creating the package about that :)

To check out the examples I suggest you grab the latest GNet tarball
from http://www.gnetlibrary.org and download it to somewhere into your
home directory and then unpack it with

  $ tar xzf gnet-2.0.x.tar.gz

and then do

  $ cd gnet-2.0.x/
  $ ./configure && make

after that, you should find the examples compiled in the examples/
directory.
As far as I know, you don't have to do 'make install' to try the
examples.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get along.

 Cheers
  -Tim