Re: [gnet] free heap block

erich steiger wrote:

i've compiled and run the example echoserver_gserver.c under win32 using
visual studio.
(...)
why does this occure? is this a failer? do i need anything else to freeing
memory to prevent this?

From my last experiences with GNet on Win32, this looks like a common bug in the Win32 code. GNet even inherits bugs from GIOChannel (udp/tcp ports opening and never closing again), but the more serious are the gratuitous BSODs. I once needed a reliable way to use sockets on a GTK+ app (winlop.sf.net), and tried to use GNet; it was less stable (the Win32 version) at that time, and I had almost no experience with Winsock so I gave up. At the end I had to make a dirty workaround (src/lopster_input.c, if you guys wanna laugh at me a little) without using GNet at all, but it would be great if I could use it (even now).

IMHO, the main problem (at that time, maybe it's still present) is that there's too much #ifdef's; the Win32 version looks almost like a separated library, and looks like the author isn't able to keep the Win32 code updated with the unix version. Would be nice if we could get some more Winsock programmers to help a bit.

My recommendation is: get the GNet sources and try to find any suspicious code; also try to find a winsock programmer to review the library code; oh yes, go get yourself a Linux distro, GNet works very well there. :D

Daniel K. O.