Re: [gnet] performance of poll() in single-threaded apps

On Thursday 16 May 2002 18:03, David Helder wrote:

> From what I'm told, SIGIO is much faster than poll for these sort of
> applications.  But, if performance is key, you may not want to use
> GLib/GNet anyway because of overhead from the GLib main loop and its heavy
> dependence on callbacks.

Socket throughput or response times are not really an issue. I was more
wondering if poll'ing such a large number of connections wastes a
considerable amount of CPU power or not.

The callback stuff is exactly what I like about gnet - it makes writing a
server application so much easier :-)

I guess I'll just have to do some experiments and see how performance turns
out to be. I'll let you know when I know more.

Thanks
-Tim