[gnet] license question

Hi everyone,

this may seem a trivial question, but I'd just like to make sure.

According to the documentation, the gnet library is covered by the 'GNU
Library General Public License'. Is it correct that this is the same as the
'GNU Lesser General Public License' and only a name change has taken place?

If yes: I understand that it is permitted to use the libary in 'proprietary'
programs. Is that correct? Does that cover dynamic linking as well as static
linking?

Here's my scenario:

I've got an application which is free with "free as in without costs" and
publicly available for download to anyone. It is only distributed in binary
form at the moment. However, I would like to rewrite part of the code using
the gnet library and, if possible, _statically_ link the gnet library.

Is this allowed?

I've read the license twice, but I'm not entirely sure which passage exactly
allows that.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
-Tim

PS: Just on a side note: the source code will probably be released under the
GPL at some point in the future, but it needs to be partly rewritten before
that.