[gnet-dev] Re: gnet for windows

--On Tuesday, April 24, 2001 5:13 PM -0700 wroberts1 home com wrote:

Today i try to build my gtk/gnet application in windows using gcc-mingw

First, mingw cannot link to a msvc dll, a '.a' library must be generated
from it, for linking purposes only.  This is the procedure:
   1) pexports gnet-1.0.dll > gnet.def
   2) dlltool --def gnet.def --dllname gnet-1.0.dll --output-lib libgnet.a

I recommend that you build GNet using gcc-mingw, using the instructions and the makefile I posted on
Mon, 12 Mar 2001. The message is accessible in the archive at
http://www.gnetlibrary.org/pipermail/gnet-dev/2001-March/000010.html
In another message I also said you need to use the -lws2_32 switch when compiling your app too.
see:
http://www.gnetlibrary.org/pipermail/gnet-dev/2001-March/000005.html

These instructions dont come with gcc-mingw, its from:
     http://www.mingw.org/mingw-oldfaq.shtml
pexports is at:
     http://www.is.lg.ua/~paul/devel/binutils.html

However, i'm not sure if mingw supports winsock2.
It only has an incomplete winsock2.h
They now support winsock2 but you need to install an update. See the message post for more details.

So if gnet-win32 must be built with msvc, then it would be useful to
include a libgnet.a with the distribution.  I maybe the above steps could
be added to the build process?
Yes, I'll will include all the instructions and makefiles on using GNet with gcc-mingw in the next snaphot. I will do one shortly after I return in two weeks. When I did the current snapshot, gcc was not supported since they need to do an update to support winsock2.h

....and on another note: The application i'm working on also uses GTK.
This gnet-win32 currently requires the glib-20010301, but the current
gtk-win32 is 20001226.  gtk+-dev-20001226 dont work so well with
glib-20010301 since gtk wants g_main_loop_destroy().
Maybe a new gtk-win32 release is needed that works with glib-20010301.
I dont know if it would be better to build cvs sources in win32 or get Tor
to release again.
Tor actually did a relase on March 1, but he did not update his website.
The link to the correct files is in the README.win32. You absolutely need these to get things working correctly.

Maybe soon there can be a GUI gnet example that builds in all the
platforms.
Perhaps David could be pressured to write one...?

Andy