[glade--]Re: Glade-- Two questions

Bryan W. Headley wrote:
Christof Petig wrote:

Bryan W. Headley wrote:

Christof,

No both executables will be the same. Actually I read both styles of files and emit code according to available Gtkmm2/Gtk-- Version or command line parameters. And according to renaming, perhaps I will call it glademm (reason see gtkmm) and rethink about the name of the executable (since glade calls it as glade-- there is reason to not switch).

Not really. An orthogonal thinker will make a glade-- package using the Gnome-1 source tree/version, and then a glade-- package using the current source tree/version. The Debian packagers are beginning to understand that they need one of each package to continue to support Gnome-1 (which they'll do for awhile). Glade-- so far is the only package that maintains Gnome-1 support.

But it's more than handy to just work out of the box for both environments. So you can even create code for 1.2 in a 2.0 environment and vice versa. I usually have them both installed. glademm-1.1.0 simply will support both glade and glade-2 and both of gtk-- and gtkmm-2 (Note: four combinations!!!). No branch, no fork, from a user standpoint I can't envision a better solution. Most user's won't notice (unless glade magically starts generating gtkmm-2 code once they install it in their path, which IMHO is not so undesirable). Perhaps a glademm-1 link should default to 1.2?
I'd vote for letting it die really fast.

I can understand the glademm-2 point of view, but supporting both in one binary (note: glademm does never link to lib(gtk/glib/gnome).so) makes transition of projects much easier.

Anyway, you know the user will install the packages in the wrong order, and end up with the Gnome-1 only Glade--. dpkg won't help them, because the dependencies will be met, whichever order the packages are installed in.

Not just Debian, but the rpm guys and other packagers.

And if I just don't mention? They will upgrade glademm-0.6.4 by glademm-1.1.0 which still supports 1.2.

The problem already existed back in the gtkmm-0.99/gtkmm-1.0/gtkmm-1.2 days. Glademm naturally supported generating code for them all.

Actually IIRC toolbar handles it's children itself. So the code is inside toolbar (and not button). Whether this was a good decision is debatable but it looks good to have toolbar specific code inside toolbar. IIRC the generated gtkmm code uses a lot of Toolbar_Helpers functions which have not too much in common with normal button creation API.

Hmm. They're leaking into Widget::check4validity().

Wasn't this to support placeholders?

If you saw my patch, I made special writers for them.

Which did not differ from button.cc/radiobutton.cc/checkbutton.cc. Please test my solution, it should be equivalent without duplicating code.

If toolbar children were guaranteed to only be button, checkbutton, togglebutton, you are okay. But glade allows you to "convert to regular widget", which means you'll see "GtkButton" et al. Actually, for fun, I found that GtkEntry and other useful widgets can appear up there. Too many exceptions...

This work(ed) for gtk-1.2 and was sometimes used. I don't see any relationship to supporting '*button'. Please tell me more. What does not work now?