Re: [gedit-list] File encoding detection

Paolo Borelli wrote:

Il giorno mer, 20/07/2005 alle 01.57 +0100, Noup ha scritto:
I've been doing some research to find out how to detect the encoding of
a text file. Though, it appears that GEdit successfully detects the
encodings i use most for my files. So i would like to ask you, what
method are you exactly using to detect the encoding of a file?

Actually gedit doesn't do full encoding detection: it just tries in
order utf-8, the current locale encoding and ISO-8859-15.

Beside if a particular encoding has been specified when opening a file,
the encoding is remembered when opening that file.

Paolo

Ok, i see... so the reason why it usually works for me is because my files are usually in utf8 or iso-8859-15 precisely.

Though, when GEdit is "trying", how does it check if the file is in utf8 or iso-8859-15?

Pedro Castro.

--
http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~prmc