[gedit-list] A newcomer to gEdit:

I'm really interested in writing a few plugins for gEdit. I think in terms of being Gnome's default text editor--while still very functional--it leaves a bit to be desired; at least in the way of dev-type options (which I hope to remedy). :)

To start the learning process, I'd like my first plugin to be a vertical-view folder/file plugin that lets the user create a heiarchy of links to files (like in most IDEs) similar to what Kate has; just, better.

My problem is that I'm totally confused when it comes to actually manipulating the interface of gEdit. Sure, I can manipulate the text inside a buffer all day long--but changing the interface is proving to be a bit more difficult.

Is this even possible?

If so, could someone PLEASE point me in the direction I'd need to take to at least get started doing this?

Many thanks...