[gedit-list] Howto embed gedit in other app?

Hi,

I have another application that uses several text-entry boxes,
and I want to be able to pop-up gedit to edit the contents of those
fields.  The app is gnotime, a time-keeping/diary type thing,
at http://gttr.sourceforge.net, the fields in question are the
'notes' and 'diary entry' fields.  Thus I want to pipe the text
to gedit (yes, thats currently possible), and then, whenever the
user hits the gedit save button, to have the contents piped back
to gnotime.

Whatever that stunt may be, I haven't yet quite figured it out.
If gedit really uses gnome-vfs, then should I write a gnome-vfs plugin
for gnotime, so that gnotime data looks like a filesystem?  Hmmm.

Should I just copy most of the gedit source code into gnotime,
and perform some vicious hacks to make it work? Yuck....

Is there some way to make oaf/bonobo do this for me?

I could pass a URI to gedit, but the problem is that if gnotime
creates a file on a disk, I need to know if/when to pick up the
contents of the file, and when its safe to delete it (never mind
that its a security exposure if I put the file in /tmp).

Please advise.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>