[gedit-list] Re: gedit comment

Daniel :
	Thank you for you comments, but for the next time it will
be great if you can send then to gedit-list lists sourceforge net
so that everyone can listen to them. I am "cc" to the list now.

Daniel Mellergårdh wrote:
> I like the newly released version very much. It seems to much more stable
> than
> previous ones (ie 0.6.1).

Cool ! we did a lot of work to make it more stable. Thanks for the
comment.

> 1) Suggestion;
> It would be great if the current cursor line is displayed in the status
> (Probably this is already planned).

Yes, it is planned.
I disabled the "column #" in the status bar because it was very
inacurte.

This is not an easy task for a number of reasons
I think it is answered in the file called FAQ.
This file is VERY VERY old and we need to update
it, but you will find the answer you are looking
for there.

> 2) Concerning system paper size;
> I am using Red Hat 6.0. According to tool tip for paper size config there
> is a
> fallback to the file "/etc/paperconf". This file does not exists on my red
> hat system.
> Instead a file named "/etc/paper.config" contains paper type information
> (see below).
> It would be great if this file would be checked to. (However, I do know I
> could set the
> variable $PAPERCONF or $PAPERSIZE).

There are two problems with selecting the paper
size that are outside of gedit reach.

1. GnomePrint ( the cool printing api ) can't handle
for now custom paper sizes
( For this reason gedit cant handle custom sizes
althou we could do a hack to save the size and stuff
but I don't know if it is worth it since not a lot
of people use custom sizes )
2. The Paper Selector Widget is not very good and it
has been rewriten but will not be available utill we
migrate to Gnome 2.0 because it is not backward compatible.

So to put it in another way . gedit is using the library
functions ok ( gnome_print_get_defalt_paper() and GnomePrintPaper
selector ) but the fix has to come in the library not gedit.
BUT : this is a good thing to know so that I can check if
we will not have any problems with gtk 1.4

> 3) Bug;
> When setting the paper size unit to "centimeter" it is not saved. (It
> reverts to
> "inch" when window is closed and reopened).

same as above, I will see if I can do tick in gedit to have
the dialog display the correct unit.

> I can not see it would matter to the paper size or bug report but I am
> still using
> the gnome-print 0.16 library.
No, this it not a problem

> // Daniel