[gdome]Re: reference counting again

The endless thread continues... :-)

newnode = gdome_n_cloneNode(node, TRUE, &exc);
root = (GdomeNode*) gdome_doc_documentElement(self, &exc);

while ((tmpnode = gdome_n_firstChild(newnode, &exc)) != NULL) {
  GdomeNode* n1 = gdome_n_removeChild(newnode, tmpnode, &exc);
  GdomeNode* n2 = gdome_n_appendChild(root, n1, &exc);
  gdome_n_unref(tmpnode, &exc);
  gdome_n_unref(n1, &exc);
  gdome_n_unref(n2, &exc);
}

In my case node (and so newnode) created from a different document, so n1 cannot be appended to the other document's root. I haven't tried it yet though.

you are right, but that's because appendChild _does_return_ the appended node. So it's better (even though more verbose) to create another temp variable and to unref that variable instead, as I've done in the example above. It's much more clear and doesn't rely on Gdome2 side effects. Unfortunately, when using C + reference counting, you cannot just forget about useless returned values ;-(

That's the cause I think returning with a new reference in appendChild like functions are unnecessary and make it hard to read and/or debug the C code. For example GTK has reference counting, but object query functions do not make another reference, instead you should use g_object_ref() on returned object if you really want to hold that reference. And it's very easy to automaticaly increase reference count in language bindings with gdome_n_ref(). This could be done by modifying gdome_xml_n_mkref() to only create Gdome_xml_Node if it not already exists. But it's just an idea, too many programs would be
concerned.

Daniel