[gdm-list] Need help running a password reset program during and after login

I have a program that allows our users to request reseting their password, etc... for various services at our company, logging to our linux workstations, internal web sites, etc...

I would like to have this program on screen during the login process and remain on screen after the user has logged in (program should be running and on screen for the duration of their session). How can I do this? Is this possible with gdm? would it be easier with a different desktop manager (xdm, kdm)?

From what I understand, there are 2 login screens/greeters to choose from, gdmgreeter and gdmlogin. gdmgreeter seems to cover the whole screen, so it would cover my program. I don't think gdmlogin covers the whole screen?

I would prefer to use gdmgreeter (I think it looks nicer, and its what our users are accustomed to), so is there some way it could be modified to not cover the whole screen, or at least not cover another window?

There is a daemon that starts gdmlogin/gdmgreeter (I think its gdmflexiserver?), so could I get it to launch my program after it launches gdmlogin/gdmgreeter for the specific X display? if yes, where would the appropriate place make  these modifications be?

I'm new to gdm development so I'm also wondering what the best way to test a modified version of gdm is? When I'm logged in to a development workstation (I already have a gdm session, using gdm installed with my linux distro) I try running a development version of gdm login and get an error message (version number doesn't match gdm daemon) I can run gdmlogin in a shell with the DOING_GDM_DEVELOPMENT env variable set.

When I want to run a whole new gdm session (so I can login and everything that follows) using development gdm, I run gdmflexiserver, but that runs gdmlogin from my linux distro, so the only way I know to get around this is to (temporarily) replace gdm in my linux distro. Surely, there is a better way?

:)< br>

Yahoo! Mail