Re: [gdm-list] Request for info: number of logged users

Hey, thanks for taking the time to answer so thoroughly.

From: Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM>
> [snip]
>
> So, if you think these protocols can be implemented in D-BUS and still
> ensure the same degree of security, then I think someone should write
> up a proposal of how things should be rewritten and send it to this
> list for community review.
>
> One potential problem, though, of having GDM depend on HAL/D-BUS is that
> these add new dependencies.  Are HAL and D-BUS appropriate to be used
> in root-owned daemons with the security requirements of GDM?  Have HAL
> and D-BUS been audited to ensure that using them in programs like GDM
> is appropriate?
>
> Even if we can't use HAL/D-BUS for the above reasons, I'm sure the code
> could be rewritten and improved natively.  After all, the messaging
> needs of GDM aren't really all that great.

Well, I'm not in a position to judge this, but NetworkManager, for instance,
relies heavily on both HAL and D-BUS and is an example of a daemon running as
root. Yet AFAIK NM is Linux specific while GDM seems to be used on a lot of
different systems.

> > Which is already too many comunication channels for the same set of apps and
> > still, to halt and reboot we are using _exit() and waitpid()!
>
> Yes, this is ugly and I'm sure the code could be rewritten and
> improved.  It would be great if you would like to take a stab at this.
>
> > I understand that gdm manages a complex task and that probably many people
> > already touched the code (probably implementing their own ways to communicate)
> > but this makes it very difficult to change anything in a sane way. I'm afraid
> > that gdm is badly needing a major redesign, probably using newer technologies
> > like dbus and hal and with a single, powerfull interface between all the
> > pieces. I would like to help even if I don't know much about all these APIs
> > yet. Are there already any plans to engage in such a task?
>
> I agree with you that a redesign of GDM's message handling system is
> overdue, but there aren't plans at the moment to improve it.  If you
> are interested in doing this sort of work, I'd be happy to help you
> understand the code and help.

I'd love to get into this, but I've never been on a "serious" project. On the
other hand one has got to start somewhere. I'll research these things and come
back to you when I need it. Right now, I've got a lot of university work to
do. But in the summer I hope to look into this more seriously.

I've got some ideas of how GDM could work better and be a lot more integrated
with gnome but that will have to wait for now.

Thanks for your time,
Rui