[gdm-list] Re: gdm user and pass fields together

> Marcos:
>>
>> I'm a gnome user from Brazil, here in my company we're migrating to
>> GNU/Linux desktop. We're using gnome e gdm.
>> My boss wants that the login screen (GDM) shows up the user
>> e password fields together, not username <enter> and password <enter>.
>> Furthemore, he wants that gdm save and remember last username login,
>> so the user only types the password and log in.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>
> GDM does not currently allow this to be configured.  You would probably
> need to rework the way GDM interacts with PAM to make this work.  Also,
> putting both fields on the same screen doesn't save you any typing, it
> would just mean you would have to hit <Tab> rather than <Enter>.
>
> (...)
>
> Brian

actually marcos is requesting a feature i am also missing at gdm, and i
think the ability to configure gdm for seperate user- and password-fields
would be more convenient for users migrating from windows and macos. i don't
exactly know how the windows-loginmanager works, but the one at macos x lets
the USER decide, which key he wants to hit for switching from the user-field
to the password-field. i.e.: if the cursor is in the user-field and the
username is entered one can press EITHER <tab> OR <enter> to set the focus
on the password-field. if the entered username has NO password and <enter>
has been pressed, login occurs - otherwise the focus remains on the
password-field until the password is confirmed with <enter>.

i think this strategy combines the two ways of entering username/password.
brian, you are right that the <tab>-way does not save time, but it does not
cost any either. but i think the macosx-way of login would make gdm more
flexible: the ones that like to stay at the traditional one-field gdm could
p.ex. configure gdm to put the password-field on top of the user-field after
the username has been entered. the ones who would prefer two fields, could
place the password-field right below the username-field (or somewhere else
with the graphical greeter).

one further advantage that the two-field solution has over the one-fielded
gdm: the user sees right away if he has a typo at the username-field. at the
one-fielded gdm: *hmmm* wait ... did i type "michael" or "michal"? *hrmpf*
(<enter> at the password-field ... waiting x seconds ... retry).

greetings

michaEl ;)