From: nagesh jadhav [mailto:reachjadhav rediffmail com]
Sent: 09 February 2005 05:23
To: gdm sunsite dk
Subject: Problem in Logging with root account

Dear Sir,

I am facing one problem in Linux server. First of all not able
to login as root account. If account is disabled in gdm.conf. Which line to edit in gdm.conf to make it active. I am not able to login as root. But I have created one user account where I am able to login. I have not given any rights (like to change the permissions,write & to edit).
How do I edit gdm.conf file. I am able to open gdm.conf file using vi editor but not able to save the file as I have logged in with user account. Please suggest.

Secondly, I am not able to open X-Windows. I getting the
message "Server authorisation directory (daemon/SerAuthDir) is
set to /var/gdm but is not owned by user gdm and group
gdm. Please correct the ownership of gdm configuration
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and restart again"

What setting has to be done ?

Please tell me the command how to execute to change the ownership.
as I logging in with user account.

Without re-installing can I solve this problem. Please suggest.

Regards,

Nagesh Jadhav

Nagesh Jadhav
Bangalore