ANNOUNCE: GDM 22.214.171.124 (stable), the "SuperLate(tm)" release
- From: Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM>
- To: gnome-announce-list gnome org, gdm sunsite dk
- Subject: ANNOUNCE: GDM 126.96.36.199 (stable), the "SuperLate(tm)" release
- Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:22:27 -0600
(If you have no clue what gdm is, skip a few paragraphs down first)
Sorry this release is a week late. George Lebl is no longer maintaing
GDM and it took me a bit of time to get the release together. Kudos to
George for all the excellent work he has done for the gdm project.
GDM is the GNOME Display Manager, it is the little proggie that runs in the
background, runs your X sessions, presents you with a login box and then
tells you to piss off because you forgot your password. It does pretty much
everything that you would want to use xdm for, but doesn't involve as much
crack. It doesn't use any code from xdm, and has a more paranoid and safer
design overall. It also includes many features over xdm, the biggest one of
which is that it is more user friendly, even if your X setup is failing. The
goal is that users should never, ever have to use the command line to
customize or troubleshoot gdm. It of course supports xdmcp, and in fact
extends xdmcp a little bit in places where I thought xdm was lacking (but is
still compatible with xdm's xdmcp).
Highlights of 188.8.131.52:
- Now using CVS head of vicious-extensions, left out of previous
release due to schedule freeze.
- Do not init the wm twice if gdm_wm_init is called twice. (George)
- Always destroy dialog widget in greeter to fix non-fatal error
dialogs from hanging around. (George)
- Leak corrected in daemon/verify-pam.c. (George)
- Corrected g_strconcat call in gui/gdmsetup.c. (meissner suse de)
- Added Afrikaans, Northern Sotho, South African English, and Zulu.
to language translations. (Dwayne Baily)
- Updated build files so it can be built and distributed with new
buildtools than 1.4. makedist fixes, etc. (Brian Cameron)
Note: GDM2 was originally written by Martin K. Petersen <mkp mkp net>, and
has for a while now been maintained by the Queen of England. She is usually
not responsive to bug reports or feature requests. You can try to send them
to me however.
Note2: If installing from the tarball do note that make install overwrites
most of the setup files, all except gdm.conf. It will however save backups
with the .orig extension first.
Note3: Note3 has been depracated ...
#endif /* GDM_DISABLE_DEPRECATED */
No RPM this time around BTW. Have fun. A spec file is included though,
so you can try:
rpmbuild -ta gdm-whatever.tar.gz
Have fun (or whatever else you wish to be having),
] [Thread Prev