Re: [gdm-list] AlwaysRestartServer

We have the same problem as Yitzhak where logout/logins are causing X
server crashes in multi-user systems. This problem occurs whether
AlwaysRestartServer is true or false.   The problem and
workaround/solution most likely involves a change to Xorg code and has
nothing to do with GDM, but here is our question for GDM experts:
Is there some fundamentally known instability in the logout/login
process without a full restart (besides memory leaks and other
problems that could happen as the X process runs for weeks at a time
with no chance for cleanup)?

Even with AlwaysRestartServer set to true, GDM sends a SIGHUP to X
(which is required to reset X authentication according to XDM
documentation) and we highly suspect X is also performing some
unnecessary re-initialization of the the video card upon receiving a
SIGHUP.  If X could just deal with setting up authentication for a new
user without touching the video card, everything would probably be
fine.  Our big question for the X developers is: why does X have to
mess with the video card when the X server itself is not restarting?
But that is a question for different mailing lists...

Thanks,
Michael Pardee
1-888-323-1742
Open Sense Solutions LLC