GDM <-->Greeter protocol documentation

Dear list members:

I am curious about the GDM <--> Greeter Protocol. There doesn't seem to
be documentation about it and the only information I have found about it
is through the source code.

Does anyone know of a paper about it?

I know it's a simple ASCII protocol but certain questions arise. For
example:

Is the communication between gdm and the greeter like:

	1) gdm waits for the user name
	2) gdm sends some more data (like prompt or something similar)
	3) gdm waits for the password
	4) gdm sends some more data (like if auth ok...)
	5) all over again??

If so who would initiate the conversation? Would the gdm say some
"initial" stuff to the greeter just as it starts? Would the gdm just
wait for the initial input?

Or maybe they aren't waiting in turns for each other. Maybe they are
asynchronous and non blocking?

Thank you in advance for any attention given. I greatly appreciate any
help.

Truly yours,
Rodrigo Madera

Software Developer