Face recognition in GDM ...

Hi to all GDM developers,

I'm a researcher in Computer Vision and I'd like to add some sort of face recognition sytem to the Linux login. The idea is to use real-time face recognition throught a video camera to select the right user's name from a little database containing an image of each user. The user, of course, will have to type the password but not the login name (for extra security). I'm thinking in implementing one of the state of the art face detectors and face recognition algorithms (as it will not be the main user's identification method,
as the passwd will remain in place, it has not to be very sofisticated).

The idea is to be developed within a master thesis of one of our students. What I'd like to know, before even look for a student to do it, is what do you think (GDM developer) will be the best way to modify the GDM code?, the place in the code to loook for? what to modify with the minimum impact in stability? What version of the code is best to start? And what ever do you think will be interesting ...
I have not even taken a look into the GDM code yet.

I think it will be very cool to have such a thing as face recogtion in the linux login ;-)

Please, answer to me directly as I'm not in the list.

Best regards.
JM..

Jose Miguel Buenaposada Biencinto
Escuela Superior de Ciencias Experimentales y Tecnologia (ESCET).
Universidad Rey Juan Carlos
C/ Tulipan, s/n. E-28933 Mostoles. Madrid (Spain)
phone: (+34) 914888129
email: jmbuenaposada escet urjc es
web  : http://www.ia.escet.urjc.es/~jmbuena
Yo he sido precario FPU: http://www.precarios.org