Re: bug in gdm with font size in themes?

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 13:13, Søren Hansen wrote:
> ons, 2004-07-14 kl. 13:37 skrev Anton Altaparmakov:
> > Surely specifying a font of "Sans 24" should look the same size on all
> > screen resolutions, should it not?
>
> To answer this, we need to agree on the definition of "size". Are we
> talking number of pixels or number of millimetres?

millimetres.

> The idea is that "Sans 24" should give you a font of the Sans Serif
> family which should be 24/72 inches on all screens.

Indeed.  Instead what we get is that on the same screen (with the
display size set correctly in the XF86Config so the dpi should be
correctly set by the X server) running at 640x480 all the text in the
gdm theme is absolutely tiny and unreadable(!!!) while at 1280x1024 all
the text in the gdm theme is huge and can be read from a plane.  Note
this is using the exact same theme...  (And all other themes I have
tried do exactly the same.)

> This happens because the 24 refers to number of points, not pixels. The
> definition of a point is 1/72 inch. The actual number of pixels to use
> it determined by the number of dots per inch (dpi) your display has.

Considering we tell X what our display size is in millimetres it should
have the correct dpi...  Certainly looking at the X server log it would
seem that it does have the correct dpi...

Best regards,

	Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/, http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/