Showing the number of new emails as part of the graphical greeter

Hi,

I have a wish-list item for GDM and I'm willing to (help) code it.

In the graphical greeter, all users are shown in a list with their faces (if they have set them). Besides the user name, I would like to see the number of unread emails.

I used to have a setup with xdm and a few personal additions. One of them was a xbuffy (run by root), monitoring the mail spool of both users (me and my wife). My wife found this extremely convenient, as she didn't receive mail very often, and this saved her an unnecessary login to find out.

Things changed when
a) I turned to gdm, and
b) I turned to using Maildir instead of the ol' unix mailbox.

We miss the functionality now. I couldn't find a replacement for xbuffy that handles Maildir format. Besides, running something like that on the graphical gdm greeter looks clunky anyway.

So if anyone has a suggestion on where I should start, or e.g. how to fit it into Gnome's architecture, feel free to comment.

regards,

Dennis van Dok