GDM whacks display

Hello,

I'm using GDM with old xterminals. They have 32MB of RAM. Sometimes, the
X server is killed, and the GDM server keep some logs about this:

"Ping to 10.0.0.11:0 failed, whacking display!"

This message is generated by the function gdm_slave_alrm_handler in
daemon/slave.c, line 4466. This seems to be related to the setting
PingIntervalSeconds.

Can you explain me what happened and how to resolve the problem?

This seems not to be a real ping but a ping inside the X connexion,
isn't it?

Does GDM kill the X server?

What is the purpose of this feature?

Thanks,