Re: how to change "Doubleclick on the user to log in"

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 12:20 +0200, wrote:

> Noone responded to my question of a few days ago so I hope you folks
> will not mind if I ask it again. It concerns the graphical greeter in gdm.
> I'm using gdm 2.6.0 and Fedora Core II.

I can assure you, your messages are going through.

[SNIP]

> I looked in various gdm directories but could not find where this text
> is taken from. Do I have to go to the source and rebuild gdm?
> Where will I find the prompt messages?

I believe you can find that text either in the source code at:
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gdm2/gui/greeter/greeter_item_ulist.c?
annotate=1.9
gui/greeter/greeter_item_ulist.c Line #381:
	"text", _("Doubleclick on the user\nto log in"),

or there is another occurrence at:
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gdm2/gui/gdmlogin.c?annotate=1.213
gui/gdmlogin.c  Line #2353:
	 _("Doubleclick on the user "

One of these two will be the string you are looking for. I believe its
the former.

Note:  Whenever you see _("") like that, the string has been marked as
translatable.  So you are in luck, you can download one of a billion
different utilities for editing .po files such as
http://poedit.sourceforge.net/ and you can change that string without
even having to recompile.  Google can help you find instructions with
the search terms 'gettext', 'translation' and 'guide'

http://www.google.com/search?q=gettext+translation+guide

Here's a helpful tip:  If you are looking for some text, the easiest way
to find it would be to download the source archive of the package,
unpack it, and from within the directory you can use:

	grep -rn 'Doubleclick to' .

That will tell you the line number and filename of every occurance of
that string.

> That was the question. Then a comment. The login procedure is clumsy.
> After you have clicked on your face, you'd just like to type in your
> password next. Why do anything else? (the only other possibility
> would be to click another face, or type another name,
> because you noticed you'd chosen the  wrong one).
>
> The present text "Doubleclick on the user to log in" is extremely
> annoying since, as far as I can see, you still have to doubleclick
> TWICE on the face to long in (and you've already clicked once...).

I have noticed this too.  You are more than welcome to dig in and look
for a solution.  This probably falls in the category of 'mildly annoying
bugs that nobody has taken the time to fix'.  However, nobody is going
to be dropping whatever they are working on to fix it just because you
have taken the time to announce your feelings on the matter.  The way
things work is, you fix the bug, post your message with a patch that
fixes the problem and you get to be a hero for a day (possibly up to a
week depending on the severity).

Bug reports like this with no patch attached will usually get you
exactly what you received.  Nothing whatsoever.  I'm not trying to be
jerk by the way, this is the reality of the situation.  Sometimes you'll
get lucky and someone will fix it for you, but in general its considered
rude to demand bugs be fixed unless you have contracted someone to do
so.

Good luck.  I look forward to your patch to rectify the behaviour.

--
Curtis Magyar