Re: GDM man pages

George wrote:

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 04:24:30PM -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
Brian

Wow, that's pretty long.  Are you sure all this needs to be in the man pages?
I mean large part is duplicating the main docs, perhaps the man page should
just give the very basic overview info and refer to the main docs.  This way
the information does not get out of sync.

As the author, George, no one could ever expect you to maintain documentation in something other than your choice of formats, but I'd like to chip in with a little tidbit -- I, personally, greatly prefer to have all documentation in manual pages, and I'm always greatly frustrated whenever I find any binary executable, anywhere on the system, that doesn't have a manual page. At the very least I would think a simple manual page that says, "See the documentation files distributed with the XXX package" would be helpful, but those frequently end up in widely varying places (if they get installed at all), whereas man pages end up in an established hierarchy and are almost always installed.