Launching/Switching to another colour depth from gdm screen

Hello gdm people,
I have a situation where a few old but frequently used programs will only work on 8 bit displays. I can get gdm to bring up two instances of X with different colour depths, but it's still confusing for people to switch to another linux virtual terminal by keys and log in again. What I would like to be able to do is have the user choose an 8 bit or 24 bit display from icons at login and have the virtual terminal switch or X restart in the other colour depth (like xdmphoto+xdmopt is supposed to do). A better option that would achieve the same goal is to have the user log in once, spawn two copies of X at different depths, and initially display the one with the highest colour depth. Sadly, something as simple as Xnest or Xvnc is not the answer - it needs to be a real 8 bit server and to convince appliations of the fact.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do either of these things with gdm?

Regards,
	David Boston