Re: UI change of "Languge" selection in gdm2

Hi Bob,

> Chookij,
>
> In general, unless this is a temporary change which only applies to
> the current session (in which case it seems rather pointless to just
> change the greeter language but not the user session language),
> arbitrary users should not have the ability to effect the system-wide
> configuration.  Even if the change is constrained to a particular
> display, on a shared system such as Sun Ray displays are allocated on
> a dynamic basis, and have no persistent binding to a physical monitor
> or location, so one user's change can affect other random users in
> future, which is not appropriate.
I agree and the change I made (mentioned earlier mail) doesn't effect
other displays.

> If we accept this, then I see little point to having two options for
> language changes within the greeter.  There should be only one option,
> and it should affect the current instantiation of the greeter and any
> subsequent user session.  Nobody wants to use different languages for
> their greeter and their session, do they?
That's good argument and users don't need to change/select language twice
to have both greeter and their own sessions to be the same langauge.

I have one point that seems likely to cause confusion a bit.

Let's say we have one option for language change to both greeter and
users'session. Remember that, at this point (before users start typing
their users' name/password), gdm2 doesn't have any clue of who's the user
and therefore, gdm2 doesn't know what was the last language ("Last")
of which user is. My question is .....
What does it mean when users select "Last" at this language selection
toward "greeter" ? What langauge is it for greeter to be restarted ?

Chookij V.