GDM login editing.

I am installing linux and winbind on our schools computer lab. We still have windows clients so it is easier to not change the authentication system.

Winbind users have a username of DOMAIN+username where the "+" is the winbind separator.

What I would like to do is have the login fields for gdm to match the windows login fields so that the students login the same way on all the machines on my network.

Essential I would like the GDM screen to have the following fields displayed

Username
Password
Domain

I would like username and password to be blank and Domain to have a default setting(specified in a file somewhere)

I would like it to take the Domain and append the username with the winbind separator in between then pass that as the username to login for auth.

Is this possible, easy, already done somewhere.

If it is a matter of editing some XML, and making a perl script to sit on top of GDM then I may be able to do it. However, I don't know how GDM works at all so I am looking for a little guidance.

Thanks

Brent Ellis
Match School
bellis matchschool org