Re: [patch] No echo password entry

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 02:20:11AM -0600, Nathanael Law wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> If anyone else is interested in disabling the password echo at login, I
> have a patch for this feature.  It adds the UseSecureEntry option below
> the UseCirclesInEntry options in gdm.conf.  It also add support for
> editing this option via the gdmsetup program.  The patch was generated
> against 2.4.2.96, but it works against the latest CVS.
>
> The patch may be applied as follows:
> ~/src/gdm-2.4.2.96$ patch -p0 gdm-2.4.2.96+noPasswordEcho.diff
>
> I would like to see this feature in the distributed version of GDM.  Is
> there anyone else who supports this?  Also, what is the proper procedure
> for submitting such a patch?

Unfortunately it's really now after the freeze for gnome 2.4.  The patch
still needs a bit of work, the notification of change is not going to be
propagated unless you implement that in the daemon.  Also it should be
implemented in the standard greeter.  In any case this patch can only go in
after branching for 2.4.

The best way for your patch not to be forgotten is to add it to bugzilla.  An
even better way is to bug me after gdm is branched for 2.4 (should happen a
bit after the 2.4 release as I hate branching, so I put it off as long as
possible)

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   In the fight between you and the world, back the world.