Re: gdm2 on RH7.2

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 05:49:50PM +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> Okay, so I'm trying to get gdm2 running on my RH7.2 box, which has GNOME
> 2.1.x desktop built and installed in /gnome/head/INSTALL.  So far I've:
>
> - Built and installed gdm2 in /gnome/head/INSTALL
> - Changed gdm2's user/group ownership to gdm
> - Added /gnome/head/INSTALL/sbin and /gnome/head/INSTALL/bin to the PATH
> in /etc/X11/prefdm, so that /etx/inittab picks up gdm2 rather than gdm
>
> However, when I boot, the X server tries to start up a few times and
> then fails.  The last message in the log is "Can't find font 'fixed'",
> so I'm not surprised it's not starting :)  What am I missing?  If I take
> gdm2 back out of the PATH in /etc/X11/prefdm, it starts up fine again
> with the old version of gdm.

Can you turn on the debugging?  It almost seems like it just can't start X
for some reason, can you look at the X logs (in whatever the log directory
is in your gdm.conf).

Though it is really really hard to setup parallel installs of gdm because of
pam.  I myself just wipe my old version and reinstall the new with the same
exact paths as the standard redhat one.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion.