Re: How to manage remote Xserver from local gdm?

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 05:52:45PM +0100, Remco Poelstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have gdm running on my PC and on my laptop. Now I want that my laptop
> shows up in gdm on my PC when it's available, so that I don't have  to
> start x on my PC and use vnc to connect to my laptop.
> I've enabled XDMCP on both systems (and it works with vnc), but my
> laptop doesn't show on my PC.
> I've tried to some howto's but I couldn't find the answer there either.

Just enabling XDMCP is not enough.  I would do the following.  Enable
Indirect queries in XDMCP (on both computers), and then in gdm.conf on
the PC use this (this part is in the standard config):

# To use this server type you should add -query host or -indirect host
# to the command line
[server-Terminal]
name=Terminal server
# Add -terminate to make things behave more nicely
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -terminate
# Make this not appear in the flexible servers (we need extra params
# anyway, and terminate would be bad for xdmcp)
flexible=false
# Not local, we do not handle the logins for this X server
handled=false

Then in your [servers] section I'd do

[servers]
0=Terminal -indirect localhost

That should make the pc come up with a chooser, which should show the laptop
if the laptop is accepting xdmcp queries.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.