gdm always starts default session no matter what choice users do at login screen

Hi; I hope I sent this post to right place;

I have problem with gdm 2.4.4 (redhat fedora). I have added a few other sessions then gnome & kde (windowmaker, xfce, fluxbox & mwm :-) ) to gdm. They displays correct on login screen, but no matter what choice is done gdm always starts the default session. Actually if I choose plain window manaer like mwm or fluxbox then it works; but if I choose xfce or window maker then gdm loggs in into either kde or gnome (depending what I made default by switchdesk). Now there is entry in switchdesk for window maker to make it default but not for xfce. Unfortunately I don't know how to add a new choice to switchdesk. I have added a script in /usr/share/apps/switchdesk for xfce but switchdesk desn't seem to care about it . Only way to start xfce is to login failsafe and then start it by manually running startup script for xfce - which is a bit annoying :(.

doesn anyone know what is the problem &/or how to fix it? Why doesn't gdm logg into the choosed session rather then default? And at last - how to get ridd of that annoying notification that says "this is the failsafe session" (must it be really neccessary to see it and every time failsafe is started? ). I guess it is ok for people new to X, but it should be the way to turned it off.