Re: gdm issues with multiple servers

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:56:25PM -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> I'm running gdm 2.4.2.95
> It is compiled on my x86 box (an LFS system) using gcc 3.3.1.
> The entire system (except kernel) is gcc 3.3.1 compiled.
> XFree 4.3.0.1, nVidia's closed source but wicked driver.
>
> gdm works great.
> Then I decided to take an old 233 iMac out of my shed and put YDL on it.
> Since it has a super blurry screen (why it was in the shed for the last
> two years ...) I set it up to run xdmcp
>
> Then on my x86 box (the one with gdm 2.4.2.95) I edited the gdm.conf
> line and added:
>
> 1=Terminal -query cvs
>
> (cvs is the hostname of the imac - that's what I'm using it for)
> It works very well this way - except for two issues.
> I think they are not gdm's fault, but I don't know for sure.
>
> When the xscreensaver starts on the X11 display for the mac, the x
> display crashes and restarts - dumping me out of my session.
>
> The other issue is that when switching between the x86 display (running
> gnome 2.2.2 if it matters which I doubt) and the iMac display (running
> whatever gnome ydl 3.0 has) - occasionally the x cursor does not move at
> all - and then that xserver crashes and dumps into log in.
>
> I have to assume these are XFree issues and not gdm issues, but I
> thought that *maybe* people who play with gdm might know a work around.

Whenever I see proprietary drivers, I say "eek!"  Try with the nv driver and
see if that makes a difference.  I would say it's probably some sort of
conflict with the drivers.  You could also try to run the second X server
using unaccelerated vesa driver.  You don't really need acceleration since
it's remote X anyway, so your local display is not going to be a bottleneck I
don't think.

> If it matters - my kernel on my x86 box is compiled with gcc 2.95.3 -
> which means my nVidia driver is also - and I had to edit their makefile
> to remove a compiler option to get it to build.
>
> Sorry if this post seems scatter brained - using gdm to log into
> multiple boxes from one is a brand new concept to me.

It's pretty much a new concept for X as well.  A lot of things don't work
well this way, for example only one X server can have accelerated 3D with DRI
and such.

I think the best way would be for one X server to manage several displays.
Then there would be no problems with hardware conflicts since you'd only run
one driver.  That's of course an XFree86 issue.  Actually if it would be
possible to separate the X display from the actual graphics hardware driver,
then we could also perhaps do things like SunRay stuff (move your display
to another screen).

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.