Strange behaviour under second local login

Hi,

When I start gdm as root and login as user, everything is fine.
But when I log out, gdm takes a very long time to be redisplayed again. It also takes a long time for the text entry to be released. Entering my name and password goes fine, but it takes a minute or 2 before gnome-session is started. In the mean time, gdm quits (I see the black-white standard X background). As soon as gnome-session is started, everything gets back to normal speed.
When I log in remotely, using vnc, everything is fast and fine.
What might be the cause of this?

Thanks in advance,

Remco Poelstra