No face icons appear

Hello,

I've been trying out GDM again (I had some problems with a much older
version, so, I decided to stick with good ol' startx). Everything works
great--multiple X servers, Xnest, etc. etc... now, however, the face
browser is totally nonfunctional.

I've specified the global face dir as /data/common/Faces. The icons are in
the proper format (PNG files, no file extension). They belong to the gdm
user, but are world-readable anyways.

When the face browser is enabled, it appears as a blank white box. There
are no icons, no labels. Nothing to select. No response to clicking or
dragging within the field.

This doesn't appear to be an issue with displaying my set of face icons in
particular, since the factory nobody.png icon representing a user with no
assigned or selected face does not show up either.

I'm running GDM 2.2.5.2, installed on FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE, upgraded from
2.2.4.2. 2.2.5.2 is the latest version ported to FreeBSD, accord to
freebsd.org/ports.

Everything else about GDM works great, it seems, so this is particularly
perplexing.  Any ideas?

I turned on debug messages but nothing (that appeared to be) relevant was
showed up.

Erik.

--
E. L. Rothwell