Re: GDM + Xinerama wallpaper

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 12:20 PM, George wrote:

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 10:30:40AM -0500, Gordon Turner wrote:
Hello,

I am running a stock rh8.0, with the GDM graphical login on a dual head
setup with Xinerama, my question is can/how do I instruct GDM to apply
wallpaper on the second head?

I.E. at the moment, I can specify the wallpaper for the head that the
login appears in, and I can move the login box to either head, but the
other head looks left out and unloved :-(

If GDM is responsible for this, can I use one large image (like I have
created for my desktop once I login) or do I have to specify the
background for each head separately?

Hmmm ... I haven't truly tested the graphical login with xinerama much. It
will need a bit of thought as to what is needed to do.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Well I have a few test partitions on my system, so if you need a crash test dummy, point me to the cvs etc. :-)

Suggestions (my POV anyway...),

a) one wallpaper with option to 'stretch' across other desktop
b) treat each head independently, assign wallpaper to each

Thoughts,

a) similar to current RH desktop config (assuming the RH config is Gnome 'core', maybe borrow it?) b) seems that with the 'ximerama=' switch in the current GDM config file, that the current interest has been on head at a time? If this is the case then b) might be more consistent.

Just occured to me, not as a solution but question, does xsetroot play nice with GDM?