upgrade has stopped remote xsession working

I have been using X-Win32 to connect to some of my linux boxes.
I have upgraded and now reinstalled Mandrake 8.1 but cannot get
a connection from X-Win32. The error msg is:

XDM: too many restransmissions.

I have read the X-Win FAQ which says to:
	Comment out the line "DisplayManager".requestPort: 0" from file
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config, then reboot the Linux box.
	Go to /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and make sure [XDMCP] is enabled (Enable=1).

I have tried this but still get the error msg.
I ran netstat -au (got this idea from an earlier msg) but
do not see xdmcp running.

I was running portsentry and prelude which I installed with this
distro but have tried to configure them so that they ignore local
hosts and the ports 177 tcp/udp. I have even stopped them.
I cannot see any error msgs on the server. gdm is running on
the server ok.

gdm is vn 2.2.4.1

Any ideas anyone?