gdm without gnome-session

I'd like to run gdm, but once logged in, I don't want to run
gnome-session.  Gnome-session is the process that seems to insist on
having one or more panels up.  If I just kill gnome-session, I get logged
out.

I've checked my ~/.xsession to make sure I don't start gnome-session from
there.  I don't.  I make sure to check "Xsession", not "Gnome" in the gdm
"Session" menu at login.  gnome-session still rears its ugly head.

What do I have to do to run gnome-free?

PS I don't subscribe, so please reply-all in your responses.

--Dave