gdm and chooser - how?

Hi,
        did anyone succeeded to see a chooser from a X host running gdm
display manager? All is fine with kdm and xdm (but I dont like them to
much :-)), but with gdm I'm only able to get a direct connection: 'query'
and 'inderect' connections to the host do present the gdmlogin but no
chooser :-( The chooser seems to be OK, it starts out of a running X
session without problems (but is fairly useless then :-)).

I set the apropriate options in gdm.conf, but gdm doesn't honour
'indirect' calls with a chooser (The chooser binary is executable and in
the right place to be found by gdm):

[xdmcp]
Enable=1
HonorIndirect=1
MaxPending=4
MaxPendingIndirect=4
MaxSessions=16
MaxWait=30
MaxWaitIndirect=30
Port=177

I checked out the helix-code version 2.0beta4 and the newer version
2.0.96, no differences in behavior :-( I tried it with several machines.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
        Dirk