Re: [Helix Beta] Re: gdm indirect XDMCP - anyone got working OK?

Paul> Indirect XDMCP does work in the way I meant but I phrased
Paul> wrongly what I was attempting.  What I mean is that all my
Paul> X-terminals point indirect XDM at a host running xdm which then
Paul> points at a list of further XDMCP hosts - one of which is a Red
Paul> Hat box running Helix gdm.  Thus the gdm does not provide the
Paul> indirect XDMCP listener but it does provide a banner to an
Paul> X-terminal indirect query via the intermediate xdm host.

m'kay

Paul> Sorry to be obvious about the symptom.  I have looked at the
Paul> logs for info (both gdm log files and syslog messages from gdm
Paul> when running with debug on) but could not find anything
Paul> definite.

Please mail me the debug output of an XDMCP transaction.  You need to
configure your syslogd to capture daemon.debug for that to work.

>> Which means you'll keep running beta2...

Paul> Doesn't appear that way Martin.  If I upgrade whilst the gdm
Paul> process is running, the original listener spawned by init is
Paul> beta2 - thus it listens OK to the indirect queries passed via
Paul> the xdm host.  However when someone actually requests a banner,
Paul> the listener process spawns a child gdm process to handle it.
Paul> As the gdm binary installed at this point is beta4, it spawns a
Paul> Helix beta4 gdm child session.

Nonono.  The running gdm daemon *forks* a child session, it doesn't
execute a new process from disk.  Your process will still be a beta2.

The greeter window will be beta4, but that's irrelevant.

Paul> On the subject of the Red Hat patches, they also have the
Paul> problem.  Red Hat beta2 works but Red Hat beta4 (via their
Paul> updated package) fails like the Helix one.  The problem was
Paul> definitely introduced between beta2 and beta4.

Well.  It works with a pristine beta4 tree here.

--
Martin K. Petersen      Cereal Bowl Engineer, Linuxcare, Inc.
http://mkp.net/         SGI XFS, Linux/PA-RISC, GNOME