Saving (and enforcing) configuration changes ..

Hello all,

I recently made the switch to GDM from simple console login, so that I could
make life easier for some people who use the machine that are not so
comfortable with Linux.  I have been very happy with the configurability of
the front end of it, and have been able to get it to look the way I want, and
there have been no real difficulties in that aspect of GDM.

My question arises in the following area, and I tried #gnome-help on IRC, and
didn't find much response.  I seem to have missed a setting to save, or
something that tells GDM to leave the configuration alone on reboot.  Most
importantly this pertains to the window manager that is set as the system
default.  In /etc/X11/gdm, there's a symlink called Default, which upon
installation of GDM points to kde as the default wm to be used.  As root, I
have changed thaat symlink to point to my desired wm (WindowMaker).  When I
simply restart GDM and login .. the change holds.  However, if the system is
restarted, the symlink reverts to pointing at kde.  Is GDM running a script
at shutdown that resets the defaults against some config file I may have
missed?

I suppose a better solution to this problem, other than setting the default
to my wm of choice, is to configure GDM to use the .xsession or .xinitrc
files in all users home directories.  In that case, then, users could
configure the way they want their system, and GDM would check that file,
automatically point them there.  I have tried this (similar to how it would
have been done in XDM) but no luck.

I'm hoping this is a common problem associated with being inexperienced with
GDM .. and that someone can point me to a solution.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dan