Get after set crashes program?

I am writing an app that uses GConfClient, but there is a problem with the first run of my program. All succeeding runs of the program work fine.

When my program starts, it checks to see whether a key is set. If not, it is set to a default value by using gconf_client_set_int. This function returns TRUE, and I can see the key and value show up in my distribution's Configuration Editor program.

Later in program initialization, I attempt to get the value of that key by using gconf_client_get, but this function returns NULL. I tried passing that function the address of a local GError*, but the error pointer is still set to NULL after gconf_client_get returns. So I have no idea why it fails.

Now, all succeeding runs of the program work fine. The same call to gconf_client_get succeeds and returns the appropriate value. Any ideas why this happens?

(I'm coming from Windows, so I don't know how to use schemas or how to integrate them into the scripts of Anjuta's Build Distribution command.)