Re: gconfd-2 not shutting down

Hi,

I'm having trouble with gconfd-2 on a debian sarge based terminal
server. The users' gconfd-2 processes won't shut down. I have to kill
them once in a while, which is annyoing. Of course I could let a cron
job do this, but that's not how it's supposed to be, or is it?

A search on Google, on this list and a quick scan of the FAQ didn't
help. The only thing I found out is that gconfd should quit a few
minutes after the user's logout. Well, it doesn't. At least not on my
system.

The problem is, that it's a public internet access with lots of users
every day, so the gconfd processes quickly fill up the process table.

Is this expected behaviour?

The expected behaviour is the one you've read about, i.e that the
GConf daemon stops after a few seconds of inactivity (thirty seconds
is I think the period of the check). It however needs to have no
clients at the time, and that might be what's causing the issue in
your environment. It's possible that some other process is keeping a
connection to the daemon, and that prevents it from ever stopping.
I'd suggest checking there aren't other processes which query GConf
on behalf of connected users but never release the client connection
to the daemon.

I already thought of that, but I have an enormous amount of gconfd-2 processes hanging in there, that are the only processes belonging to the respective users.

Is it possible that it's a bug in a client application (which would most possibly be firefox)? Could the connection to gconfd be open, although the application itself has quit?

Bye

David